In today’s Ticker: An MLB/death-metal crossover, the new MLS ball design, and a lot more.
Uni Watch News Ticker for Jan. 5, 2023
- Someone on Twitter reimagined 20 MLB team logos as death metal band logos. (From Colin Wimbles)
- Here’s a video that takes a preliminary look at plans for the Rays’ proposed new stadium. (From Kary Klismet)
- Giants coach Brian Daboll wore a Damar Hamlin tribute cap for his press conference yesterday. (From Alan Kreit)
- Here’s more about how the Commies’ new pig mascot could result in a trademark dispute. (From Kary Klismet)
- DII school University of Texas Permian Basin has a very cool helmet logo. (From Patrick Murphy)
- Here’s the story of how some Naval Academy Midshipmen attempted to steal all four of West Point’s live mule mascots in 1991. (From Kary Klismet)
- New Deadpool-themed mask for Sens G Cam Talbot. (From Andreas Papadopoulos)
- Fun fact: The Isles’ circular logo is not actually a true circle. (From Eli Langbaum)
- We all loved the baseball uniforms that the Bruins wore when arriving at the Winter Classic. Here’s an article about the company that made those unis. (From Kary Klismet)
- The OHL’s London Knights wore beautiful throwbacks in Uni Watch colors on Tuesday. Here’s a bit of video. (From Wade Heidt)
- At the World Juniors, the Czech team has non-matching gloves. (From @bills716sabres)
- New MLS match ball for 2023. (Thanks to all who shared)
- D.C. United is the latest Washington sports team to get a cherry blossom-themed uniform. (Thanks, Jamie)
- England: Wolves right-back Nélson Semedo’s jersey badge was upside-down yesterday. (From Adam Ruehmer)
- France: Lorient has a new “collector’s shirt” that their men’s team wore in Ligue 1 last week. “Because of the shirt’s background pattern, the number and NOB were on a white patch, which looked really bad,” says our own Jamie Rathjen.
- Cape Verde: Following up on an item from yesterday’s Ticker, Cape Verde is renaming its national stadium in honor of Pelé. (Thanks, Jamie)
- Korea: New home and road shirts for top-tier club Incheon United. (From Ed Zelaski)
- Canada: Here are some renderings of the proposed new stadium Toronto is building for the 2026 men’s World Cup:
- Fans are unhappy with F1 team Haas’s new logo.
- Buried within this page is the news that Patrick Cantlay’s apparel deal with Hugo Boss has expired. He’s looking for a new endorsement contract.
- Australia’s Belinda Clark has become the first female cricketer to be honored with a bronze statue. (From John Muir)
- A company in Osaka, Japan, has created a bicycle helmet made out of discarded scallop shells, called the Shellmet. (From Kary Klismet)
Well that Islanders’ logo can’t be unseen. Just like the bottom fork of the Bears’ wishbone C.
The guys in that Rays stadium presentation had all the energy of accountants at a life insurance symposium. Hilarious. -C.
Most of us architects are quite dry, haha.
A bit more about the OHL’s London Knights “throwbacks”. This uniforms really a combination of past uniforms, especially when factoring the black equipment.
Both the logo and the jersey crest are throwback but were not worn together. I have linked the 2 old looks below. The jersey was worn before this jersey crest. Of course, this crest is close to their current crest but features a large “L” with the knight head.
Another notable uni detail about Czechia at the World Juniors. They have a decal of their flag on their visors. Don’t often see a decal on the visors.
Why, why, WHY don’t more teams wear green and yellow unis???
True. Looking at things glass half full, we have seen more just kelly green and yellow back in recent years. The Oakland A’s with their alternate look. Who can deny we’ve received this huge treat from the Minnesota Wild because of RR:
Possible we may see more green and yellow in the future? Still waiting for the NBA to expand to 32 teams. May see some beautiful Seattle Supersonics unis in the great new arena there (though I would rather see an NBA rebirth in Vancouver in the NBA expansion mix but understand the realities).
At my old high school the basketball team wore kelly green and the football team wore hunter green. I played football and always thought hunter green was the best. Matter of fact the basketball team was the only sports team to wear kelly green.
Been nice to see the INSIDE of a proposed ball park. The energy in that presentation…….I waited for “Bueller Bueller Bueller”
Agreed. Personally I prefer the Tampa plan over the St. Pete one.
Enthusiasm for the Rays in general is as abundant as the parking spaces featured in that design, which is not exactly a jaw-dropper. Guess they counting on new Gas Plant District residents (multi-family and workforce housing is incorporated in the plan) and those who still commute to an office to regularly attend games…while the community in place gets pie-in-the-sky promises just like they did when the Trop got built?
I like to see Mayflower Moving´s proposal ; )
The Warriors had a very nice look last night. Would love to see way more of this.
The Rays’ stadium unveiling appears to be just a sit-down with some reporters rather than an official “presentation” video. I much prefer this type of low-key announcement to some glitzy, arty, loud-music, hyperbolic, pretentious, visual hype job.
BTW, that building that looks like a toddler stacked some toy blocks (left-center at the 1:05 mark) is utterly hideous!
Those logos are less ‘death metal’ and more ‘left out in the rain’.
That’s flipping hilarious! And I play in a metal band.
I was thinking they were way too legible to be death metal logos.
About time DC United had a cherry blossom kit. For those who aren’t aware, there was a draft designed several years ago with a similar design in mind, which got rejected (I can’t remember whether that decision was made by DCU, the MLS central office, or Adidas).