In today’s ticker we’ve got anniversary logos in soccer and baseball, plus good news if you’re supposed to serve on a jury in Philadelphia. All that and more below!
Uni Watch News Ticker for Jan. 27, 2023
- The Rays have unveiled a 25th-anniversary logo. No word yet on whether it will be worn as a patch. (From multiple readers)
- With the NFC Championship Game taking place in Philadelphia this Sunday, the local court system is in Philly is encouraging people to wear Eagles attire when reporting for jury duty. (From Hunter Frederick)
- The Dayton Daily News has a very long slideshow chronicling the Bengals unis through the years.
- A Bengals jersey displayed on a grave in Hamilton, Ohio, was stolen, and the family is demanding that it be returned.
- Capitals C Lars Eller’s helmet advertisement was knocked askew during Wednesday night’s game. (From Ted Starkey)
- The AHL’s Chicago Wolves will wear mental health awareness sweaters this weekend.
- New Mexico men will be debuting their turquoise throwbacks tonight. (From Frank Mercogliano)
- The Wisconsin Herd will change their name to the “Wisconsin Her” to support women’s empowerment on Feb. 3. They’ll also wear somewhat illegible jerseys.
- Fans of the Seattle Sounders are upset that the team’s new jersey advertiser has an anti-trans history.
- Phoenix Rising FC of the USL Championship is planning a new stadium, only a year and a half after opening its current one. (From Kary Klismet)
- England: Reader John Chapman came across this YouTube documentary from 2019 about current fifth-tier men’s side Altrincham wearing rainbow shirts to fight homophobia back when they were a sixth-tier team.
- Argentina: New home kits for Rosario Central. (From Kary Klismet)
- Argentina: New away kits for CA Huracán. (From Kary Klismet)
- Canada: The Canadian Premier League has unveiled its fifth-season logo. (From Wade Heidt)
- Jaguar Formula E driver Sam Bird is one of three drivers reaching their 100th race in the series this weekend. Early yesterday his car had a No. 100 in place of his usual No. 10, but apparently it was gone for the actual on-track sessions. (Thanks, Jamie)
- All Formula One drivers will have tiny cameras in their helmets for the 2023 season. (From Kary Klismet)
- New helmet for Motorcycle Grand Prix rider Jorge Martin of the PRAMAC Racing team. (From Kary Klismet)
- Alexandria, Va., has a new tourism logo. (From William F. Yurasko)
- Twitter apparently launched a new font yesterday to help cut down on fake and deceptive handles. (From @mathteacherjedi)
- New athletics logo for West Iowa Tech Community College.
The whole issue with the Sounders “sponsor” is just another reason to despise uni advertising. SMDH.
Come on now, aren’t soccer jerseys 90% sponsor logo?
Not one shot of the original 1968-80 Bengals uniforms. Boo.
In a 71-photo slideshow too!
I would use the word “history” in the slideshow very loosely. It was basically the new uniforms with a few pictures of the Anderson era and Palmer era sprinkled in. Major deduction of points for not including their original uniforms.
“the local court system is in Philly is encouraging people to wear Eagles attire when reporting for jury duty.”
Then how will they distinguish the jurors from the defendants? ;-)
Phoenix Rising’s stadium wont be new, they are just moving their modular setup from Chandler to Phoenix proper
How big a dirtbag do you have to be to steal from a cemetery? I guess we all assumed that grave robbers disappeared in the 1800s.
The Rays anniversary logo really captures the visual mess that is their current set of designs. They desperately need an overhaul, ideally with the animal and not that silly sunburst.
They are the only sports team I can think of with a name that they literally use as a double meaning. Do they mean ray of sunshine, or do they mean the animal? They can’t decide apparently.
I think they should just scrap it entirely and go with Montreal Expos. Much better name. Have an idea for new ballpark location too…
Formula E already has in-helmet cameras, but they pixelate the driver’s steering wheel display so you can’t see what it says. Interested to see if F1 does the same.
Now that’s cool…but the unpixelated feed is out there somewhere…
Wonder if that’s a potential Spygate lurking in the future if one team can see another’s readouts?
Comets is an underused nickname. Good on WITCC.