Today in the Ticker: A Redditor collects would-be World Series press pins, items from the men’s World Cup final, and more.
- An MLB.com article on how valuable each uniform number is, based on the Wins Above Replacement stat, was recently updated after originally being posted in 2020. (From Pete Simmonds and Tim Dunn)
- A reader who wishes to remain anonymous tells us about a Reddit user who collects World Series press pins for teams that didn’t make the Series, but were close enough that pins were made.
- The Raiders have been using a holder on all kickoffs for the past two weeks to hold the ball on the front edge of the tee in order to gain more height. The NFL initially told them that was fine, but they’ve now decided it’s not. The rules say a one-inch tee must be used and that the ball can be placed any way on the tee, but the NFL says what the Raiders were doing basically made it a 1.5-inch tee. (From Block “O Canada”)
- The Commanders’ Sean Taylor memorial, which was revealed a few weeks ago — and which Paul criticized for its various flaws — has been updated. Among the changes: The Nike jersey has been replaced with an era-appropriate Reebok jersey, and the facemask now features Taylor’s signature tape striping. (Thanks to all who shared)
- Two Steelers fans managed to get the ball used for the Immaculate Reception in 1972 immediately after the play and still have it today. (From Rob Matuga)
- Jets players took kids shopping for the holidays wearing NNOB jerseys. (From @stevenwoj)
- Canada’s men’s team for the upcoming world junior championship has new white jerseys. (From @mrbh204)
- The PHF revealed the logo for its 2023 all-star weekend in Toronto.
- The PHF’s Buffalo Beauts held an autism acceptance night on Saturday and wore alternate jerseys for the second day in a row. They also have a memorial patch for the victims of the Buffalo mass shooting in May, but it appeared not to be on either of the alternate jerseys this weekend.
- Here’s a look at the Pittsburgh Pennies tribute jerseys the PHF’s Connecticut Whale are to wear Jan. 14.
- Paris’s Métro has a station named Argentine that was temporarily renamed France for the men’s World Cup final. (From Andreas Papadopoulos)
- Three-starred shirts were on hand for Argentina after they won the men’s World Cup final, though the arrangement of one above the other two might only be temporary because it’s similar to what the USWNT did immediately after wins in 2015 and 2019. (Thanks, Anthony)
- Argentina’s Lionel Messi raised the trophy wearing a traditional Arab cloak known as a bisht handed to him by the Emir of Qatar Tamin bin Hamad Al Thani. More than one commentator criticized that as Qatar attempting to force its way into Argentina’s moment. (From multiple readers)
- Here’s a good breakdown of why Argentina wears light blue and white. (Thanks to all who shared)
- Canada: A new pro women’s league is planned to launch in 2025. It doesn’t have a name yet but its working title, Project 8, incorporates the customary number of one of its founders, former midfielder Diana Matheson, and the number of planned teams.
- Here’s an article about the Q collar, a device that an increasing number of athletes in several sports are wearing to help prevent brain injuries, although its effectiveness is a matter of some debate.