In today’s Ticker: One of Europe’s biggest soccer clubs divorcing their uni advertiser, an NFL logo on the links, and more!
- If you didn’t know, once a player plays a certain amount of time in the Majors, MLB issues them a gold pass, allowing for free entry for them and a guest to any MLB game. Brock Holt posted his on Instagram, and it’s just as flashy as one would hope. (From Sara Klein)
- New Red Sox signee Masataka Yoshida will wear No. 7. The No. 34 he wore in NPB is retired for David Ortiz, natch.
- Sticking in Boston: We know that the Red Sox had a brief mid-’90s experiment with a red-crowned, blue-billed alternate cap. But did we know that it was worn on the road at least once? Makes for an even odder look than with the home whites. (From @imoMitchCards)
- Here’s what the Ravens are wearing when they visit Cleveland on Saturday. (From Andrew Consentino)
- The Patriots are sponsoring rookie LPGA golfer Alexa Pano on the pro tour, marking the first time an NFL team has sponsored an LPGA golfer. The 18-year-old Pano will wear Patriots-branded gear on tour. (From @CDodge56)
- Here’s the uni matchup for the Sun Bowl. (From Noah Kastroll)
- This helmet for Hawley High in Texas has certainly seen better days. You can barely make out the design on the lefthand side! (From @barsotta)
- Capitals LW Alex Ovechkin has trademarked “The Gr8 Chase” as he approaches Wayne Gretzky’s all-time goal record. (From multiple readers)
- The Springfield Thunderbirds, AHL affiliates of the Blues, have unveiled the four one-off unis they’ll wear this season. The most notable (and best-looking) of these is the Springfield Ice-O-Topes one, if only because I love a good Simpsons reference. (From George Samuel)
- Outgoing Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker is set to take over the Presidency of the NCAA on March 1, succeeding Mark Emmert. Baker was a JV basketball player during his time at Harvard, in these unis. What’s going on with that “V”? (From Rob Gugliotta and Jay Wright)
- The coaching staffs for Virginia men and women will wear sneakers painted by patients at the UVA Children’s Hospital, who were joined by players from both teams, for games in January. (Thanks, Jamie)
- England: After pressure from shareholders, TeamViewer is pulling out of its £235 million shirt advertising deal with Manchester United. This is just the second season of the five-year deal. TeamViewer’s logo will remain on the club’s shirts until United finds a new advertiser.
- Cross-posted from the NFL section: The New England Patriots are sponsoring rookie LPGA golfer Alexa Pano on the pro tour, marking the first time an NFL team has sponsored an LPGA golfer. The 18-year-old Pano will wear Patriots-branded gear on tour. (From @CDodge56)
- After reading our recent Feudin’ Mascot pieces, artist Ross Hettinger sent along his own for South Dakota State. He sells the designs here.
- Did you know Massachusetts issues license plates for drivers who are active ham radio enthusiasts? Better still, the license plate numbers are the drivers’ FCC call numbers.