Today in the Ticker: A mid-match outfit change, a classic flip book promotion and new hand-painted helmets for Utah.
- Cubs P Marcus Stroman took a photo with a fan while wearing a red-billed cap — a cap the Cubbies haven’t worn on the field since 2009. (From John Stark)
- Does anyone else remember these double-sided flip books that Topps sold back in the day? This one celebrates Nolan Ryan’s 5,000th strikeout. “I remember being obsessed with it.” (From Rodney Flores).
- Those in support of forming a minor league player’s union have created T-shirts that employ recognizable MLB team fonts. (From Jimmy Lonetti)
- A man received three years in the pen for fraudulently obtaining and selling Supe rings with “Brady” engraved on them. (From Max Weintraub)
- BYU will wear white helmets, jerseys and pants with navy accents this weekend against South Florida.
- Indiana State will wear white helmets, jerseys and pants in their home opener on Thursday. They’re also encouraging fans to wear white. (From Phil).
- Utah will memorialize former players Ty Jordan and Aaron Lowe on hand-painted helmets, which they’ll wear on Oct. 15. Jordan and Lowe, both of whom wore No. 22, died in separate shootings in 2020 and 2021. (From Trent Lowe)
- The Calgary Stampeders have new black alternate uniforms, and held their unveiling yesterday out on the prairie.
- Eisenhower High School in Oklahoma’s helmet design incorporates Oregon-style wings — but some players wear white wings, while others wear red. (From Glen Brockenbush)
- NOF? A five-on-five team in California has a jersey design that incorporates the player’s name on the front of the jersey. (From @viceforever88)
- Rapper Big Sean, the Pistons’ creative director of innovation, says he has designed one of the uniforms that the team will wear on the court this season. That design will be released sometime this fall.
- Adidas has released all of the jersey designs it’s producing for the upcoming World Cup in Qatar. In addition, the company also released new designs for the Japanese and German women’s teams. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Puma has also released several away jersey designs that will be worn on the field in Qatar this winter. (From Trevor Williams)
- Speaking of the World Cup, NBC Sports has already ranked their favorite kit designs.
- With a 1952 Mickey Mantle card selling at auction for a record $12.6 million recently, here are some other pieces of memorabilia that have broken the bank.
- Pennsylvania gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano once posed in a Confederate uniform for a photograph at the Army War College, according to reports. Mastriano had not yet retired from the Army at the time the photo was taken.
- A Congressional commission has recommended that West Point and the Naval Academy rename buildings that honor Confederate officers. (From Timmy Donahue)
- Speaking of Pennsylvania politics, those opposing Dr. Oz’s Senatorial campaign have found a creative way to use Oz’s campaign signs. (From our own Anthony Emerson).
- Because tennis players from Russia and Belarus are required to play under a neutral flag at the U.S. Open amid the war in Ukraine, ESPN is not putting the Russian flag/initials next to Daniil Medvedev’s name on the scorebug. (From Lenny Vangilder)
- More from the U.S. Open: Canadian Bianca Andreescu changed midway through her match yesterday and was critical of the design of Nike’s dress to the chair umpire. (From Brinke)
- This video provides a look at one of the largest rare Jordan sneaker collections in the world. (From @RobEdigital)
- America has spoken, and named the Kentucky State Police’s cruiser as the “Best Looking” in America. (From @Wilds_Lee).