Today in the Ticker: the Cardinals debut their new black helmets, some Commanders players wear mouthpieces just for the aesthetics, Real Madrid’s new third shirt, and more.
- The umpires at the Athletics/Mariners game on Friday wore white shoes. The Athletics’ TV broadcasters suspected that the umpires’ luggage was lost and the shoes were borrowed from the team. (From multiple readers)
- Red Sox OF Alex Verdugo was wearing two different colored shoes on Friday. (From David Raglin)
- The Yankees retired No. 21 for Paul O’Neill yesterday. The font used for the number’s stencil on the field wasn’t the uniform font; in fact, it was apparently the font used for the Pinstripe Bowl’s yard markers. (From multiple readers)
- Somehow the Uni Watch “Meats” shirt ended up on a Twitter account called Poorly Translated Shirts, but of course any of us can vouch that it is definitely not poorly translated. (From Jared Ztap)
- Motley Crue singer Vince Neil wore an Astros jersey at the end of a concert at their stadium on Friday. (From Corey Buck)
- A chopper went through Rockies 3B Ryan McMahon’s glove on Sunday. (From Mike Chamernik).
- The Triple-A Buffalo Bisons wore Sabres-themed jerseys on Saturday. (From Wade Heidt)
- At least two Commanders players attach mouthpieces to their facemasks but don’t actually wear them. (From Tom Turner)
- If you’re unaware, in 1983 the Giants wore a black shoulder stripe from the sixth game to the end of the season in memory of running backs coach Bob Ledbetter. (From Morris Bellville)
- In a pre-season game last night, the Arizona Cardinals debuted their new black helmets. The b/b/w vs. b/w/b uni-matchup was brutal. (Thanks, Phil)
- You may have seen some tweets this weekend about Ohio State wearing 2002 throwbacks in their first game of this season against Notre Dame, but the school’s associate athletic director for communications said it wasn’t true. (Thanks, Phil)
- Boise State’s equipment staff posted a video of one of them applying a helmet decal to a helmet. “I thought their decal was one sheet. It turns out there’s multiple pieces,” says Jaime Galindo.
- New black helmets for Illinois’s St. Laurence HS. “It’s the first time in program history (60 seasons) that the team will wear black lids,” says Ed Kozak.
- In Louisville’s 1977-78 men’s basketball yearbook, a picture of C Wes Unseld shows his shoes mysteriously drawn on. (From Jason Collins)
- Two of the Antetokounmpo brothers, Kostas and Thanasis, are currently with Greece’s men’s team. Kostas wears the original spelling of his last name, Adetokunbo (“Antetokoumpo” is the result of transliterating that into Greek), but you can also see that Thanasis didn’t do the same. (From Christophe Davy)
- The AHL’s Utica Comets revealed a 10th-anniversary logo. (From Wade Heidt)
- Brazil: A drug trafficker was arrested while attending a game of Fluminense’s men’s team, and what helped is he was wearing a Fluminense shirt with his nickname as the NOB. (From Shawn Hairston)
- England: Chelsea’s men’s team wore royal/royal/navy blue yesterday for what was apparently the first time in a competitive game since 1993, borrowing the navy blue socks from their second kit.
- England: From the same game, a writer from The Athletic came up with a “Major Leeds Soccer” logo because Leeds United’s men’s team now contains a number of Americans — coach Jesse Marsch and midfielders Brenden Aaronson and Tyler Adams — who all started in MLS and helped beat Chelsea yesterday. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- England: The top two women’s tiers and their League Cup have a new ball.
- England: New shirts for Lewes.
- El Salvador: New shirts for FAS. (From Ed Żelaski)
- Mexico: Tijuana’s women’s team wore rainbow numbers on Friday.
- Scotland: New shirts for Glasgow City.
- Spain: Athletic Bilbao men’s team captain Iker Muniain reached 500 appearances for the club last week and received a small trophy including the captain’s armband from the game and a rock from the club’s previous stadium. (From Ryan Maquiñana)
- Spain: New black third shirt for Real Madrid, which included their women’s team wearing it at home yesterday.
- France: New second shirt for the rugby union club CA Brive. (From Illtud Dafydd)
More on Uni Watch