Today’s Ticker includes a major World Cup kit leak, a possible new throwback for Texas Tech football, and a sport that until yesterday, I had no idea existed. Enjoy!
Uni Watch News Ticker for August 16, 2022
- It’s kind of hard to tell in this photo, but as of Sunday, Padres LF Juan Soto was still wearing the red-and-white custom shin guard he wore earlier this season with the Nationals. (From Max Weintraub)
- Cubs OF Seiya Suzuki’s glove includes a cartoon of himself that is sewn into the inside palm. (From @dantrivi)
- I don’t think I’ve ever seen a reverse colorway of the Dodgers logo, as seen here on these vintage 7-Eleven promotional glasses. (From @SplitSeason1981)
- The Oklahoma City Dodgers wore pink and gray jerseys and caps as part of the team’s Pack the Park Pink breast cancer awareness promotion on Friday. (From David Ortez)
- We now have our first on-field look at the Arizona Cardinals new black helmets. (Thanks, Phil)
- Relive some of Louisville’s most “memorable” alternate uniforms with this list from the Courier-Journal. (From Josh Claywell)
- Texas Tech is reportedly selling this throwback jersey on campus. Perhaps a hint of an on-the-field design that’s yet to be revealed? (From @Barsotta)
- College football has inspired several pinball machines through the years. Who knew? At the Asheville Pinball Museum in North Carolina, visitors can see a 1934 pinball machine inspired by the Army/Navy game, and a 1950 machine inspired by Notre Dame’s Four Horsemen. (From James Gilbert)
- The Flames will sport a new center line design this upcoming season that incorporates squiggly stripes that resemble fire. (From Wade Heidt)
- Cami Kronish, a goalie for Wisconsin’s women’s squad, is asking fans to design her mask for this upcoming season. (From Scott Hurley)
- New sweaters for the Melville Millionaires of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League. (From Wade Heidt)
- New logo for Barys Nur-Sultan of the KHL. (From Wade Heidt and Seth Rorabaugh)
- New floor design for Northeast Dubois High School in Indiana — home of the Jeeps. (From Jason Merkel)
- The USMNT’s jerseys for the upcoming World Cup have reportedly leaked. Of course, the social media reaction was polarizing. Even U.S. MF Weston McKinnie doesn’t appear to be a fan (thank to all who shared)
- New uniforms for the Navy women’s soccer team. (From Greg Phillips and James Gilbert)
- New ball design for the Primera División, the top women’s division in Spain’s La Liga. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- New jerseys for JTEKT Stings, a men’s club team based in Japan. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- Valparaiso, which recently changed its team names from “Crusaders” to “Beacons,” has unveiled two new dog mascot logos. The dogs, Beacon (a golden retriever) and Blaze (a chocolate lab), play off the school’s gold and brown color scheme. (From Joel Mathwig and @15IndyIN)
- New turf and field design for the Louisville field hockey team. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- New uniforms for El Pozo Murcia, a Spanish futsal club. For those who haven’t heard of futsal (like me), it’s a variation of indoor soccer played on a hard court. Think arena football, but for soccer. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- New logos for Waterloo High School, located in the Finger Lakes region of New York state. Waterloo changed its team names to the Tigers after moving away from Native imagery. (From @TheFlyingWee)
- New logo for the WIAC, an NCAA Division III conference of Wisconsin-based schools. (From Jeff Ash and Andrew Wagner)
- Check out this fantastic photo of two University of Delaware rugby players alongside a live rooster mascot from 1931. (From Trevor Williams)
- It’s always great finding some juicy vintage uniforms in an old scrapbook, isn’t it? (From @GoatJerseys)
- The new cycling jerseys for Lithuania are tie-dye, and vaguely reminiscent of the nation’s 1992 Basketball Team. (From Alan Peterson)
Re: Army-Navy football pinball machine… from the game’s entry in the Internet Pinball Database at link, it seems like the football helmets in the picture were added later. They aren’t shown in the ad flyer for the game.
Oh man, those 2022 USMNT jerseys are AWFUL.
I cannot be more disappointed.
I share your disappointment.
It seems like the prevailing preference is for white shirts (with or without sash), navy shorts or the Waldos. Either way, Nike needs to stop overthinking it. The jagged red/navy mess they wear now is bad but royal/black tie-dye is somehow worse.
Crest over the heart, build on tradition, develop a basic look and build out from there. The best teams have a look and make subtle changes most of the time. Learn a lesson.
Wow. Still no coverage on this site:
Negro Leagues Baseball Museum
1945 Kansas City Monarchs vs. 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers
To honor the Negro Leagues and the 75th Anniversary of Jackie Robinson’s MLB debut, the Royals will host the Los Angeles Dodgers on Saturday, August 13th. All uniform auction proceeds will directly benefit the NLBM. link
Dallas Cowboys vs. Denver Broncos 8/13/22. Color vs. Color uniform match-up:
Can’t wait for August to be over.
Those happened over the weekend, and we don’t have anyone covering the weekends this August. If you don’t think I’m working hard enough on this site as it is, you can feel that way. Or, you could offer to write up those pieces if you’d like. Did you submit either to Uni Watching for placement in the ticker?
No to all those?
I thought so.
Gimme a break man.
Dave Holland is worse than Big C Johnson.
So will Valparaiso’s basketball uniforms now read “vALPO”?