Today in the Ticker: The Dodgers attempt to wear a Vin Scully memorial patch, three English men’s soccer teams are currently without ads, uniforms from Japan’s table tennis leagues, and more.
- The Dodgers have been wearing a Vin Scully memorial patch this weekend, but have been having problems with it. From top to bottom, on Saturday OF Cody Bellinger pulled off his patch after it was falling off, SS Trea Turner just put it in his pocket, and yesterday OF Mookie Betts was missing his. “By the end of the game, it looks like most of the players removed the patches from their jerseys,” submitter Matthew Wolfram said of Saturday’s game.
- Reader David Roberts noticed that the Orioles’ cap with a white front panel usually uses black stitching around the white panel, unlike the original worn in the ’80s, but the version for this year’s Little League Classic uses the accurate white stitching instead.
- The New York Times ran a piece yesterday on MLB players’ relationships with their gloves. (From Tom Turner)
- Bally Sports Cleveland, in fact multiple Bally Sports channels, changed the color of their outs indicators on their scorebugs last week. We can see from this graphic that just under half of MLB is covered by Bally Sports, so there might be more than a few changes. (From Ben Teaford and our own Anthony Emerson)
- The Triple-A Albuquerque Isotopes wore jerseys for a Kindness Night promotion but didn’t make one for the team’s batboy, so a No. 33 jersey was turned into “BB” with tape. (From Frank Mercogliano)
- The KBO League’s KT Wiz released this year’s summer jersey, to be worn a few times this month. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- Multiple readers told us that a player on Wyoming’s Little League baseball World Series team, Aydin Jeffress, hit a home run last weekend wearing bright yellow work gloves. Reader Jason Walker thinks he found which ones they are.
- A reporter tweeted a picture of Broncos RB Melvin Gordon wearing what looked like a pad on his foot on Saturday. It was actually Gordon’s phone inside his sock. (From Mike Chamernik)
- The Commanders are holding a vote on a broad theme for a new mascot: a dog, historical figure, hog, or superhero.
- “1990 Chargers had ‘captain’ on their jerseys. Not sure if I’ve seen that before,” says Twitter user @JBennett13.
- Multiple readers sent us this picture of Colts OLs Wesley French and Will Fries standing next to each other on Saturday.
- Virginia revealed one of its new numberless helmet designs yesterday, but pictures of both a white and blue version have already been floating around.
- The Kraken have been doing a series of short videos on their equipment managers. (From Ted Taylor)
- The AHL’s Rochester Americans are holding seven “specialty jersey” games next season, including Hockey Fights Cancer, a military promotion, a Bills promotion, and four more to be announced. They’re selling a ticket package for just those games and other ones where they’re having giveaways. (From Joe Werner)
- The Women’s Cup tournament in Louisville, featuring the NWSL’s OL Reign and Racing Louisville as well as AC Milan, Club América, Tokyo Verdy, and Tottenham Hotspur, is using the 2022 men’s World Cup ball for the first time in a competition.
- A new USL W League team in Stockton, Calif., Stockton Cargo, revealed its name and crest last week.
- New shirts for Villanova’s women’s team.
- England: Barnsley removed their new shirt ad a week after debuting it after discovering homophobic comments in social media accounts belonging to people from the advertiser involved in the deal. We can see that the ad was massive in the two games it appeared. Barnsley’s League One opponents on Saturday, Derby County, also currently don’t have an ad, making a rare game where neither side wore one. (From Ed Żelaski and Mark Coale)
- England: Nottingham Forest’s men’s team also doesn’t have an ad, but I’ll tell readers who are so inclined to enjoy that while they can. Forest and Derby are looking for ads and I can’t imagine Barnsley going without one for long. (From multiple readers)
- England: Forest also became the first new Premier League club since Leicester City in 2014 to get a two-letter abbreviation on NBC (not world feed) broadcasts; there are a lot of two-word club names but they usually don’t get two-letter abbreviations. (From @Kentuckyfan859)
- England: New third shirts for Everton, Manchester United, and Norwich City.
- England: Tottenham Hotspur’s women’s team wore a new shirt before the men’s team for the first time, wearing the new third shirt at The Women’s Cup tournament in Louisville.
- Scotland: New third shirt for Arbroath that supports the charity Penumbra Mental Health. The club interestingly said they wanted to do a third shirt with the idea of supporting a charity.
- Japan’s men’s V.League has done promotions for the volleyball manga Haikyu!! a few times, with the latest being an all-star game yesterday featuring uniforms designed by the manga’s creator Haruichi Furudate. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- The Austin Huns Rugby Team announced an update to their logo. (From Craig Harris)
- In college field hockey, new home shirt for Maine and new away/white shirt for Appalachian State.
- Here are all the uniforms for the next season of Japan’s table tennis T.League, with women’s teams first and men’s teams below. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- Movie details: Forrest Gump is wearing the wrong Army rank in his eponymous movie. (From Ed Bauter)