In today’s Ticker: Which logos were deemed “trendy” in the 1990s, a font change for a U.S. government agency, and more.
- Really good story on how the Boston Braves became the Bees (and perhaps a rallying cry for when the franchise changes its name again ). (From our own Phil Hecken)
- Here’s a look at the progress of the Blue Jays’ home park renovations. (From Andreas Papadopoulos)
- This MLB article talks about the Yankees’ lack of captaincy patches and also references Paul’s article on captaincy patches in MLB.
- A recent episode of Antiques Roadshow featured a baseball signed by Washington Senators P Walter Johnson. You can see the ball at approximately the 47-minute mark of the linked video. (From James Gilbert)
- Orange/white/white for the Bengals on Sunday.
- Military appreciation unis for the Rochester Americans, affiliate of the Sabres, over the weekend. The shoulder patch is a version of their former logo from the 1971-72 season, when they were an affiliate of the Canucks. (From Doug Brei)
- New alternates for the Victoria Grizzlies of the BCHL. (From Wade Heidt)
- You’ve probably heard of this before, but just in case: Actor Steve Carell was once a goaltender for Middlesex Prep in Concord, Mass. Here he is in his pads. (From Max Weintraub)
- The Warriors visited the White House yesterday to celebrate their 2022 NBA championship. The team presented President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris with personalized home white jerseys with their NOBs on them. Biden received No. 46 for being the 46th president, while Harris received No. 1, since the Oakland native may be considered the Warriors’ No. 1 fan.
- Ever wonder what the Warriors would look like wearing Bulls colors? You think head coach Steve Kerr has wondered? (From Jorge Cruz)
- G Donovan Williams will wear No. 4 for the Hawks. (From Etienne Catalan)
- The ESPN app showed a picture of Celtics SG Derrick White wearing a Spurs uniform in a graphic showcasing San Antonio’s next game against the Nets. White was traded from the Spurs to the Celtics in the middle of last season. (From Eric Fortune)
- New livery for NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson. (From Christopher Hickey)
- New kits for the New Orleans Gold of Major League Rugby. (From @bryanwdc)
- What kinds of logos did the kids like in the 1990s? Check out this “current identity trends” page documenting the then-“in” logos for 1997. (From @GameplanChicago)
- The University of Louisville athletics department is auctioning off some jerseys, including a tequila sunrise-style baseball jersey and several basketball jerseys with no numbers on them. (From @carlostres)
- A softball coach from Splendora High School in Texas is under fire after forcing the team to wear shirts that said, “I Achieved Failure.”
- The U.S. Department of State is phasing out Times New Roman in all official communications in favor of Calibri. Secretary of State Antony Blinken issued a memo informing department employees of the change with the subject, “The Times (New Roman) Are a-Changing.” (From Randy Koehn)