In today’s Ticker, our first looks at MLB jersey ads in action, an outdoor college hockey game in Cleveland, an outdoor NHL game in Raleigh, and much more!
Uni Watch News Ticker for Feb. 19, 2023
- As we had suspected, ad patch placement on uniforms this year will be dictated by a player’s “handedness.” For Padres pitchers (and one would assume this applies to all teams), pitchers will wear ads on their nondominant side: Right shoulder for lefties, and left shoulder for righties. (From Clint Glaze). Here’s a different set of shots (and two additional teams) from Paul.
- It was reported earlier this month that the Reds’ uni advertiser would be a supermarket chain. Although there’s still been no official announcement, the team soft-launched the sleeve ad via some photos posted to social media. There’s an additional wrinkle to this one, which Paul will cover tomorrow.
- Seventy-eight years before the Twins brought a World Championship to Minnesota, and even before the Minneapolis Millers won the 1911 American Association Championship, the Twin Cities boasted a baseball team called National Champions: The St. Paul Colored Gophers.
- ICYMI: Due to baseball’s new “4 + 1” jersey rule, the Rangers’ red jerseys will no longer be an option. Also of note in that article: “The Rangers will unveil their City Connect uniform later this year.”
- Check out this beautiful Frank Gustine Pirates jersey from his rookie year of 1939. Submitter Scott Chamberlain adds, “Love the Baseball Centennial patch on the left sleeve.” The team wore those as throwbacks in 1992. (From Jerry Wolper)
- To celebrate their 25th Anniversary, the Tampa Ray (Devil) Rays will wear 1998 throwbacks on Opening Day.
- Nice new powder blue “Citronauts” uniforms for UCF (via Paul). Those look so good with proper hosiery, and like clownsuits without.
- Penn State broke out their new uniforms against the U.
- It may be the off-season, but the Cleveland Browns have announced an “update” to their uniforms next season. (From John Flory)
- The Citadel has unveiled renderings of a planned upgrade to Johnson Hagood Stadium. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Carolina Hurricanes hosted the Washington Capitals last night in the 2023 Stadium Series game in Raleigh. Paul had the scoop on the unis here. You can see tons of photos from the game here.
- Black History Month warmup jerseys last night for the Seattle Kraken. (From Wade Heidt)
- The Ottawa Senators retired Chris Neil’s number 25 Friday night. The Senators wore a jersey patch during the game to honor this (from Wade Heidt). Here’s a bit more on that.
- New 30th Anniversary logo for the Anaheim Ducks (via Paul). Here’s another look.
- Check out the Dallas Stars’ Black History Night jerseys. (From Steve Johann)
- This gallery has some good shots from yesterday’s outdoor “Faceoff on the Lake” game between THE Ohio State and Michigan. During that game, the Cleveland Monsters (AHL) logo and font were spotted on ice repair gear used at the game, which was held in Cleveland. (Second item from L.J. Sparvero) Even more photos here.
- Really sharp looking color vs color in last night’s Long Island U. at Alaska-Fairbanks hockey match up. (From Anthony)
- The Regina Pats wore special themed jerseys for their annual Cancer Awareness Night last evening.
- The NLL’s Vancouver Warriors wore Pride t-shirts for warmups on Friday. (From Wade Heidt)
- The Milwaukee Admirals wore “Canadian Tuxedo” themed jerseys last night. (From Andrew Wagner)
- The Buffalo Beauts of the Premier Hockey Federation are asking for the public’s input on a name for their new costumed mascot. (From Kary Klismet)
- Spotted at Dick’s! Is this a possible preview of new Suns jerseys coming next season? (From Suns Uni Tracker)
- During last evening’s 3-point contest, Dame Lillard wore a Weber State jersey (that’s his alma mater). It worked too!
- In their game against Oklahoma State yesterday, Texas Tech was using the beveled OSU logo on the big video board, but the updated flat logo on the actual scoreboard at the bottom. (From Will Lanigan)
- Tweeter David Truman writes, “I’m watching Western Michigan vs. Ball State and it bothers the hell out of me that Western has the Bronco logo on the right side of their shorts but not the left. I blame Uni Watch.”
- The Miami Hurricanes wore Honoring Black Excellence uniforms vs. Wake Forest. Here’s another look.
- Michigan and Michigan State players both wore solidarity warmup shirts before their rivalry game last night, after the tragic shooting on MSU campus earlier this week.
- The Kansas Jayhawks busted out their “Sunflower” uniforms for the second time this season, going 2-0 in those games.
- MLS: Paul did a great job covering the recent MLS kit releases, but if you missed those, or just want to see more photos of each new jersey/kit, here you go.
- Here’s a ranking of the top 10 new MLS kits.
- Here’s a look at the new Toronto FC home kit for 2023-24.
- Here’s a look at the new Orlando City SC kit for 2023-24. They’re calling it “The Wall Kit.”
- Indy Eleven of the USL Championship has unveiled renderings of its planned new stadium. (From Kary Klismet)
- Germany: Borussia Dortmund and Puma have a limited-edition blackout jersey which “takes inspiration from the City of Dortmund and the coal and steel industries that fuelled the evolution of the Ruhr region in the 19th and 20th centuries.” They’ll debut the new top today against Hertha.
- Ireland: Irish club Cork City’s women’s team switched to wearing green shorts instead of white starting yesterday. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Here’s a really good piece on how NASCAR — basically the first sport to feature ads on their liveries — have handled and thrived incorporating ads on their cars, while leagues who are “new” to featuring ads on their prime real estate have struggled against fan backlash.
- The Houston Zoo has revealed the University of Houston’s new live cougar cub mascots, Shasta VII and Louie. (From Kary Klismet)
- The University of Doha for Science and Technology in Qatar has selected the Arabian Wolf as its mascot. (Also from Kary)
- The logo for the 2025 Canada Games has been released. (One more from Kary)
The TFC are known as the ‘Reds’ so naturally they went with a grey jersey. It’s awful.
“The Regina Pats wore special themed jerseys for their annual Cancer Awareness Night last evening.”
It wasn’t just the jerseys. Some thing unexpected. The mauve hockey pants were something else.
The writer of the NASCAR article saying that F1 cars don’t have room for ads has clearly never seen an F1 car up close or from an onboard camera. Yes, they do: link
F1’s just don’t have the real estate for the ginormous ads that have encroached on the (subjective)beauty of the Cup cars.
Smaller teams may still ‘need’ sponsorship in the traditional sense, but since there are fewer of those the vast majority of these decorations are top-to-bottom/straight-up/in-your-face ads. Even the car numbers are a secondary…at best…consideration.
NASCARization of the Big Leagues hurts my eyes and breaks my heart.
I think this comment would carry a little more weight if it weren’t for the history of F1 cars genuinely being painted entirely to resemble cigarette boxes… link
“Irish club Cork City’s women’s team switched to wearing green shorts instead of white starting yesterday.”
– Female Vulcan soccer players have been wearing green shorts for hundreds of years.
Did I miss the NASCAR preview for vinyl wrap schemes and uniforms you gents used to do?
Given that teams run different sponsors and wraps every week, such an article would be impossible.
The red uniform of the Rangers is the best one in my opinion. I know they can’t because they are the road uniforms, but I wish they would have gotten rid of the greys. Plain and boring.
They certainly could dump the gray jersey (but not the gray pants), like the Mariners have chosen to do. I’d prefer they keep the red top and wear it with the white pants at home, and dump the royal blue jersey altogether. But they could have kept both and dumped the gray top…which I am glad they did not do.