By Phil Hecken, with the usual cast of characters
Welcome to SMUW for Week 3. This is usually one of “those” weeks where we still haven’t really gotten into the intraconference games, there are a few Little Sisters of the Poor on the schedule, and we’re between 9/11 and the pinktober nonsense. So…it’s not usually a big week for unis. But we did have a few, like LSU’s above. Let’s get right into the Watch, shall we? We have Terry Duroncelet up first, with the SMUW, and then the Trackers & Duck Tracker and the 5 & 1. Here we go…
Sunday Morning Uni Watch
By Terry Duroncelet, Jr.
So around this point of the season is where we start seeing upsets aplenty. Some team’s uniform choices over the weekend were anything BUT upsetting, as you’ll see soon enough.
• I’m pretty sure this has been brought up countless times before, but in case anyone’s wondering what those patches are that Arizona State wears (right under the PAC 12 patch), they’re part of the ‘Scholar Baller’ program (closeup here) (credit to Tyler Carlson for the first pic).
• From Douglas King: “Georgia Tech is doing a Gold-out today against Vanderbilt. It’s part of a fundraising event for combating childhood cancer, the problem is the Jackets elected to wear white (hasn’t worn gold jerseys since the 2012 season), and Vandy is wearing Gold. It actually makes perfect sense that the team wouldn’t take part in the promo when you consider how stubborn our fanbase is in committing to things like this (the whiteout was started because fans wouldn’t commit to the Gold-outs in previous seasons).”
• From P.K. Richardson: “Tom Brady was an honorary captain and was wearing an unmarked Michigan jacket. I assume he chose not to wear Jumpman gear so the he wouldn’t upset his Under Armor bosses.”
• Memphis wore throwback Memphis State decals against an all-white Kansas squad.
• Very-classy gesture by the Tennessee band.
• So, this is a thing.
• Texas A&M tried out a new combo over the weekend: white/white/maroon. Not bad.
• South Carolina wore all-black (also dig those striped wristbands).
• Mizzou wore mono-gold.
• Arizona wore their uniforms honoring the U.S.S. Arizona against Hawai’i.
That’ll do it for Week 3! Not a lot of content, but that happens sometimes. See you next week! (hopefully with more content)
Thanks, TJ! OK, now on to the rest of the SMUW show.
Welcome to the 2016 Oregon Ducks Uni Tracker. This little project was originally begun way back in 2008-08 by Michael Princip, who retired after several seasons, whereupon the project was continued by Tim E. O’Brien. He, too, retired from the tracking, but the project has been ably kept up by the man who also tracks the Pac12, Dennis Bolt.
Here’s this week’s Uniform Combo for the Ducks (you can click to enlarge):
You can read about this uniform, and MUCH MORE, by checking out the Duck Tracker here!
Joe Ringham’s 5 & 1
Following in the footsteps of the original “5 & 1,” Jim Vilk, and Catherine Ryan after him, Joe Ringham is back for 2016 to make his “5 & 1” (five good looking and one stinker) Bowl matchups. Sometimes he’ll have some “honorable mentions” and sometimes there will be more than one “bad” game. You may agree and you may disagree — these are, after all, just opinions and everyone has one. Feel free to let him know what you think in the comments section.
Good Saturday, everyone. Another week has come and gone with a plethora of fine looking games having been played. Time to see who made my list this week.
5) Duke at Northwestern — A late entry onto the list that caught my eye as I was flipping past it on television. Really like when Duke goes blue/white/blue on the road, and it matches up great against the matte black/purple/black home look that Northwestern went with.
4) Temple at Penn State — A fine looking game in Happy Valley. Really liked how the Owls’ maroon/white/maroon clashed against the Nittany Lions traditional white/navy/white home look. A sharp looking match-up between these two in-state foes.
3) Old Dominion at North Carolina State — I am a huge fan of the home look the Wolfpack went with this weekend, going red/red/white. Match it up against the Monarchs’ navy/white/navy and you have yourself quite the looker over in Raleigh.
2) North Dakota State at Iowa — When I saw this game pop up earlier in the week, looking for potential games for the list, I had a feeling this would look good. Always have loved the classic Iowa home uni, and it looks especially good against the yellow/white/green of the 5x-defending FCS Champ Bison.
1) Ohio at Tennessee — Another game I had a good feeling about earlier in the week, and, damn, did it ever deliver. The Vols white/orange/white home uni looked quite sharp against the matte green/white/green of the Bobcats. An easy call for me to make, putting it at the top.
That will do it for me for this week. Enjoy the week, and I’ll see you next Sunday!
NCAA Uni Tracking
Uni Watch will again track the uniform combinations worn by the “Power 5” conferences. Most of the 2015 trackers are back, with one new tracker added:
We’ve got Rex Henry (tracking the ACC), Dennis Bolt (tracking the PAC-12), Kyle Acker (tracking the Big XII), Davis Vinckier (tracking the B1G), and Ethan Dimitroff, (tracking the SEC). Rex, Dennis, Kyle and Davis are all returning from 2015, and Ethan is new to the NCAA Uni Tracking this season
Here are the Uni Trackers for WEEK THREE of the NCAA Season.
Rex is up first today:
And now, here’s Dennis with the PAC-12:
And here is Ethan, with the SEC:
And here is Kyle with the Big XII:
And here’s Davis the B1G:
Paul’s Latest on ESPN
With the Ryder Cup set to begin in two weeks, Paul had an ESPN piece on Friday about Team USA’s new uniforms. Paul notes, “I don’t often write about golf, so this was an interesting change of pace for me, and the finished piece includes quotes from Team USA captain Davis Love III; his wife, Robin Love (the captain’s wife traditionally has a role in creating the team’s look); and the PGA’s merchandising director.”
It’s a great read, so check it out here.
Uni Watch News Ticker
Baseball News: “It appears that Ron Cash has a dash or hyphen between the ‘R’ and the ‘Cash’ of his NOB in this 1974 photo,” says Tristan Ridgeway. “Since he was teammates with Norm Cash in 1973 and 1974, I get that he needed the ‘R,’ but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a dash used in this manner.” … Our esteemed leader Paul is quoted in this New York Times piece entitled, “Baseball’s Stirrups: Always In Season, If Not In Fashion”. … A Beetle May Soon Strike Out Baseball’s Famous Ash Bats (from Cassian Wykes). .. There was some MLB logo creep on Kyle Crockett’s socks yesterday (from Robert Hayes). … This is great, someone has painted a Mets’ uniformed cyclist on a NYC bike lane logo (from Paul). … Yesterday, the Mets were wearing shirts from the campaign encouraging Hispanic players to use accent marks on name on their uniforms (from Birthday Girl Megan Brown). … David Price had the initials “TW” on his cap yesterday (from Martin). Apparently his best friend had passed away that morning.
NFL/CFL News: On Friday evening, the Montreal Alouettes wore a new road uniform combo. Wade Heidt explains: “Montreal Alouettes these days are similar to the late 1970s Pittsburgh Pirates. I am never certain what uniform combination they will be wearing…the Als wore white helmets and blue pants with their white jerseys. This is a new combination for them with this uniform design, since they started to wear white helmets often on the road instead of their silver buckets.” … More CFL stuff from Will Scheibler: “Duron Carter of the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes at the Hamilton/Montreal game Friday autographs a fans sign that proclaims he is the worst teammate ever.” Here’s a bit more on that. … The Spring St. subway station in New York City has huge Nike posters for each color rush uni (from NASCAR Paint Schemes). … A local target is ready for the Rams first regular season game back in LA (from Eric Gamborg). … The New Orleans Saints will wear white shirts and black britches today against the G-men.
College/High School Football News: “I found it a little interesting that my hometown high school football team (Northfield Raiders, Northfield, Minnesota) have gone to having two separate logos on their helmets this year,” says Brent Kivell. “The stylized ‘N’ has been used since the mid-1980s and replaced the marauding, machete-wielding ‘raider’ that has returned to the left side of the helmets this year. It got me wondering just how common something like this is. I certainly don’t recall anything, but with the way college teams have gone helmet crazy over the last few years maybe it’s not as unique as I think. … Rumor has it (and that’s all it is), these are the jerseys that Miami will introduce Monday (from Steven Hamilton). It’s expected they’ll throw/fauxback, so that would fit the rumor mill. Here’s a look at the orange version (from J.S.).
Hockey News: Red Wings “Pete” patches @ training camp for Traverse City supervisor (from Chris Powers). … Check out the alternate captaincy patch on the USA Hockey sweater (good spot by Jass). Here’s another look (from Cody Wolfe. … ESPN is using virtual ads on boards for World Cup. You can see the real A from the Honda ad thru snow spray (great spot by Eric Lovejoy). … Also in the Hockey World Cup, each player on Team Europe has his country’s flag on sleeve. Gaborik is SVK (from Teddy Ice).
Grab Bag: Here’s one for Jimmer Vilk (and I suppose anyone across the pond) — the top 5 changes in cricket gear since the 1980s. … At long last, our international nightmare is over: the curling broom controversy has ended (thanks, Paul). … Season ticket holders for the Utah Jazz get this awesome mini-court replica! (from Alex Shedden).
And that’s all for today. Big thanks to the entire SMUW Crew for their fantastic efforts, as always. Enjoy the Pros today. I’ll be back next Saturday but until then…
Follow me on Twitter @PhilHecken.
“Love the line about the Habs vs. Pens game being ‘colour vs. color.’ Don’t forget though, it was also ‘couleur vs. color’.”
— DJ Doc