Tennessee State To Unveil Gray Uniforms Today

By John Ekdahl

From The Tennessean, Tennessee State will unveil new alternate gray uniforms today.

Tennessee State will unveil its new gray alternative football uniforms at its Fan Day on Sunday in the team’s indoor facility.

The event is scheduled for 2-5 p.m. Admission is free.

The Adidas gray uniforms have not yet been seen by the public. They have royal blue numbers trimmed in white and “Tennessee State” in white trimmed in red across the front.

New white uniforms also will be unveiled this season. Those have the state of Tennessee three-star logo on the sleeves.

The Tigers will wear the same blue uniforms they wore last season.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Look who got some love from the New Mexico Lobos.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +

In case you missed it, Washington Post columnist Clinton Yates takes a look at Paul’s Best-Dressed Cities rankings with a focus on his local teams in D.C.

As someone who spends way too much time looking at uniforms, Lukas is correct about the Capitals’ throwback. Why they haven’t gone to a navy blue alternate, similar to their practice jerseys is baffling. But to call the Nationals look hopelessly generic doesn’t make much sense. Would I like to see some sock stripes a la Seattle Mariners or San Francisco Giants? Sure. But there’s an argument that the Nationals’ look is classic, rather than simply boring. They’re a bit unfairly judged because they’re a new team with an old look, and they replaced the Expos, who have one of the best uniform histories in Major League Baseball.

Read the full column here.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +

It’s not everyday you see a ballboy get his uniform dirty, but that’s what happened in Oakland last night (or was it Friday?).

The full story is over at MLB.com.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +

New sideline tarps for UNC this season.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +

T-Shirt Club reminder ”” only available until Monday: In case you missed it earlier this week, the Uni Watch T-Shirt Club’s latest offering — the road grey shirt — is now available for ordering, but only through Monday night. Obviously, this one is pretty straightforward, but it’s still plenty handsome. In fact, it’s arguably the nicest design we’ve done so far (click to enlarge):

Again, this shirt is available here, and there’s additional information about how this shirt fits into the larger T-Shirt Club program here. Thanks.

21 comments to Tennessee State To Unveil Gray Uniforms Today

• Hodges14 | August 23, 2015 at 9:50 am |

You know that college football is becoming less about the sport and more about the fashion when a division 1 school asks PL and Phil if they like the uniforms. What’s next, the Padres asking for a personal critique of their next redesign?

• The Jeff | August 23, 2015 at 10:11 am |

I don’t know about you, but if any teams want to ask me what I think of their uniforms before they unveil them to the public, I’m absolutely willing to help make sure they don’t look like crap. UCLA certainly wouldn’t be wearing black with a bunch of sliced up stripes if I had a say in it.

• hmich176 | August 23, 2015 at 10:58 am |

College football is about the money. It hasn’t been about the sport for two decades.

• The Jeff | August 23, 2015 at 11:12 am |

Only 2 decades? You really think it only started being about money in 1995? I’m pretty sure it goes back quite a bit further than that.

• hmich176 | August 23, 2015 at 12:53 pm |

There was only a tiny bit about the sport in the 90s.

• DenverGregg | August 23, 2015 at 10:55 am |

Mixed opinions on the Lobos. The Lobo logo and wordmark are snappy. The inconsistencies in the lettering in the New Mexico wordmark are annoying and the school colors are cherry and silver. Slate (or whatever it’s being called this week) isn’t a good fit.

• Marc M. | August 23, 2015 at 11:28 am |

Sideline tarps are now a thing? I’m pretty sure that they are a biblical sign of the apocalypse. God save us all.

• kooklaFran&Ollie | August 23, 2015 at 12:03 pm |

Been staring at the Lobos jerseys for 4 minutes to make sure my eyes are not playing tricks on me. Reading right to left like the good Hebrew I am I see:

Nike swoosh on right
    Lobo face in center on neckline.
    Kind of a 3d cube combining an “M” with a “W” so I see MW. Why would they have “MW” on their shirt?

Am I seeing it wrong?

• The Jeff | August 23, 2015 at 12:21 pm |

The MW is for Mountain West, the conference they play in. So, you’re seeing it correctly.

• Jim | August 23, 2015 at 12:53 pm |

New Mexico are in the Mountain West Conference (MW).

Mazel Tov!

• Mainspark | August 23, 2015 at 12:04 pm |

Good God. For the next 3 months am I going to be subject to the stylings of sideline tarps in the ticker? Nip this in the bud.

• Zwilcox1014 | August 23, 2015 at 12:27 pm |

MW is for Mountain West because they are in the Mountain West conference

• Ted E | August 23, 2015 at 12:36 pm |

I’m probably the only one but the NM logo for New Mexico immediately reminded me of the DW “logo” for past couple of seasons of Doctor Who.

• Ted E | August 23, 2015 at 12:37 pm |

Sorry meant that to be “the MW logo on the New Mexico uniforms”

• diggerjohn99 | August 23, 2015 at 1:01 pm |

No grey for grey’s sake with the Lobos, like my alma mater, Stony Brook, Grey and Red are the school colours. I think their uniform is one of the best of the new ones I have seen in a while.

• Brent | August 23, 2015 at 1:29 pm |

Whoa,whoa,whoa, hold on there now. There’s a NEW Mexico?

One of my favorite Mr. Burns quotes.

• Gusto4044 | August 23, 2015 at 2:19 pm |

I don’t know what the Washington newspaper columnist is talking about when he mentions “a new team with an old look”, the only commonality with the Expos and Nats is the color scheme. I liked the “DC” appearance on their uniform set a while back, but their look today is kind of generic.

In time, perhaps the Nationals will attain some traction with a uniform set, but that will depend partly on success on the field. Washington has not celebrated a WS victory since 1931, and this is the third go around for the MLB in that city.

• teenchy | August 23, 2015 at 8:51 pm |

“Old look” = the “curly W” which approximates that which the expansion Senators used 1963-71.

Someone may correct you before I do that the last Washington World Series championship came in 1924 – the current Nats threw back to that team in 2012.

I like the current Washington road unis as the letter and number outlines are very subtly reminiscent of the ones used on the last Montreal road unis.

• Tom | August 23, 2015 at 7:27 pm |

While we’re on the topic of the city uniform rankings, when all of the stadium, color scheme, and other aspects for which Paul gave or took additional points, Philadelphia tied Boston for the top score on just their uniforms. That kind of surprised me, but I agree that Philly has some classic uniforms without a lot of chaos.

• Dan T. | August 24, 2015 at 1:08 am |

As a UNC grad, and sideline tarp fanatic, I am very happy that finally UniWatch has come to its senses and given us some pics of the glorious plastic at Kenan Stadium.

• Eric Romain | August 24, 2015 at 1:01 pm |

The link to Pro Stock without the hoodscoop is the same as the old version.