By Phil Hecken
Coupla teams busted out new unis yesterday, including the Oklahoma Sooners (seen above), who wore what were described at their introduction as their “Bring The Wood” uniforms. You can read a bit more about those here. Can’t say I’m a fan, and for a while, it looked like the Mountaineers of West Virginia were going to take down the Sooners, but in they end the uniforms proved winners. The Ducks of Oregon also finally wore their black Mach Speed tops, combining those with the yellow helmet and pants for their matchup with Wazzu.
For the rest of yesterday’s action, here’s TJ Duroncelet.
Sunday Morning Uni Watch
By Terry Duroncelet
Ive been having some weird dreams as of late. this past Tuesday, I had a dream about warming up with the Dodgers and Ice Cube. A couple of nights before that, I had this oddball dream about the Yankees throwing a parade and me dying (can’t give you an explanation on that one). And just about 24 hours ago, I dreamt that Florida State was playing in last night’s game against Clemson, but they started on defense in garnet helmets with gold facemasks (which is what they currently have, but with a black gradient), and when they switched to offense, you could actually see the team switching to their usual gold helmets, but they looked more shiny gold than normal, almost like Notre Dame’s helmets. They were even penalized for delay of game! Why am I telling you this? Because apparently, my dreams had more action than yesterday’s games, at least, in terms of uniforms. There wasn’t even any major news from Thursday or Friday’s games, so let’s jump straight into Saturday’s games…
• Small image, but Duke wore retro helmets against Tulane. I’m normally not a fan of brush script, but I think I’ll let this one slide.
• Speaking of fancy lids, Wisconsin brought back the red helmets against Bowling Green.
• Utah wore all-white against Michigan. Also, I couldn’t get a good photo or anything, but apparently, Michigan DL Ryan Glasgow literally came out of his shoes when trying to pursue the Utah QB.
• Rutgers wore white helmets with flag decals against Navy.
• Yeesh, here’s hoping Syracuse never wears white/navy/navy ever again.
• Cincinnati wore mono-red with black helmets against Miami (Ohio). The helmet stripe looks to be new. Also, the RedHawks looked to have been wearing a new helmet (just keep clicking “larger” to blow up the image), similar to what Boise State and Arizona State wear often.
• Oklahoma wore their road alternates for the first time against West Virginia. They would’ve been solid if not for the crimson thorns near the armpits. The number font is something I could possibly see on the primary uniforms.
• Vanderbilt altered their “Anchor Down” uniforms in time for their game against South Carolina.
• I don’t normally cover Oregon too much (Tim does a great job of that), but I want to mention the Oregon/WASU game for two reasons: one being that Oregon looked like what would happen if you combined Mach Speed Oregon with the Steelers, which made the splash photo Paul used not too long ago all the more appropriate. The second thing is that Washington State wore all-white at home.
• Arizona wore a new white helmet for their white out game against Cal.
That’s about it for this week. Tune in next time for what looks to be the last Saturday before… THE PINKENING. See you next week.
Thanks, TJ. Catch you next Sunday.
Five and One
Last weekend Comrade Robert Marshall filled in for the 5 & 1 in a pinch, and while it was awesome, we both knew that if he had had a full week of prep time, he could make it even better. Well, now is that time.
Catherine is fine and will return to Five and One duties shortly — I had actually planned on giving a few other folks a shot at the 5 & 1 this year, so this is just one of those times. There will probably be a guest 5 & 1 from time to time as well.
Anyway…here’s Comrade Marshall with your …
Five & One
By Robert Marshall
Thanks slaps this week was brutal!
Full Texas for Arizona, Washington State, and others. It works for the Longhorns, Auburn and some others but not for Arizona. Horrible choices for the Orange-boys that had no orange, and Rutgers which clearly loves this country more then your school(you should feel shame).Welcome to 2005 Wyoming! And then there is Oklahoma,. Bah-ha-ha-ha! pathetic. So let’s try to find 5 decent games….
5. Clemson-Florida State: FSU was improved, and Clemson was element of orange short of a full on nudge. This game might have been higher if I didn’t have to see Jameis every 5 seconds. Kids make mistakes, adults make me sick.
1. Michigan Tech-Saginaw Valley: That’s how bad the week was, and that’s how much I have the stick-up for Michigan Tech.
Just out because there was a lot of black… Oregon state-San Diego State.
Just missed… LSU-MSU missed on the classic side (Peaches!),
…and the contrast special of the week Nebraska-Miami should have been in there.
Each week, as we have done on Uni Watch for the past five seasons, we’ll be tracking the uniform combinations of the Oregon Ducks. Back for his third season is Tim E. O’Brien, who’ll show you what the Ducks wore in their last game, and add a few words of wisdom.
Here’s Tim E. with the DT (click to enlarge)…
Tim was “Super Busy” yesterday, so he’s unable to say anything (not that there is much that needs to be said) about the Ducks new uniforms (or at least new tops) last evening. But the Ducks went with yellow/black/yellow, breaking out their new “Mach Speed” tops — interestingly they did so on the road at Washington State, so the folks in Autzen have yet to see the black tops in the flesh. I’m sure they won’t need to wait too long.
Tim will be back next weekend with a writeup, I expect.
As usual, things are updated over at the Duck Tracker and on twitter (@DuckTracker). You can also follow my Northwestern (@NUniTracker) and Indiana (@Hoosier_Tracker) trackers.
Each Saturday, Alex Gerwitz will be tracking the kit combinations (shirt/shorts/socks) of the teams in the English Premier League from the previous weekend.
Here is the EPL tracker for Weeks 4 & 5 (click to enlarge):
Uni Watch News Ticker:
Baseball News: The Royals and Tigers are involved in a very tight pennant race (the Royals are trying to make the post season for the first time since 1985, I’m pretty certain), so you’d expect to see lots of fans in Royals gear at the game right? You could also find Waldo (great grab by Andrew Guydos). … The Padres wore their brown throwbacks again yesterday, and it sure looks nice when they get the sanis and stirrups right (h/t Patrick Kurish).
NFL News: “My daughter received her Teen Vogue magazine this month with an NFL merchandise tie in,” writes Joseph Bailey. “She told me she thought it was ironic to receive it this week with all the domestic violence stuff that has been happening.” … While I’m not certain whether the Dolphins will be going “all aqua” today (they’re calling for an “Aqua Out” by the fans), you may recall the team first went mono-aqua in 2002 against da Bears. They also went full aqua in 2003 and 2004, according to the Gridiron Uniform Database. … Wow, how long have the Bills had this new uni set? Apparently it’s news to San Diego (h/t Trevor Tierney).
NBA News: This appears to be a rejected look from 2005 when the Indiana Pacers switched from the pinstripes to their current design (from Robert Silverman). “Never seen this one before,” he adds.
Hockey News: The Buffalo Sabres might not have the best uniforms in the NHL, but they just may have the best women’s bathroom signage of ALL the leagues (great spot by AINKriet).
Grab Bag: Due to excessive heat at the Kyalami circuit for the 1978 South African Grand Prix, the pit crew for Arturio Merzario’s Merzario A1 worked on the car wearing shorts, swimming trunks or underwear (from Graham Clayton). … Reader Terence Kearns entitled his email “Kobe Lamela?” and went on to say, “So, Tottenham Hotspur Argentinian superstar Eric Lamela wore a Kobe Bryant full kit to get his haircut. No. Words.” … At last night’s Columbus Crew game they inducted Frankie Hejduk into their Ring of Honor. After they did that they honored him by waving these flags that resemble all the uniforms Hejduk wore when he played with the Crew (from Ryan Robey). … John Vittas saw this “Chargers” logo on a company sign the other day by his place of business in Fort Worth, TX. “Not very original,” John notes.
And that’s it for today. Everyone have a good Sunday. Back at ya next week.
Follow me on Twitter @PhilHecken
“The Oilers, Islanders, and Flyers all introduced retro jerseys as thirds that gradually became their full-time uniforms, so it’s possible the Pens could continue that trend. And I, for one, hope that they do.”
— Rob S.