By Phil Hecken
Quite the interesting day yesterday on the college scene, as we had a bunch of stormtrooping teams and a couple of gray for gray sake teams…and the smattering of BFBS. Didn’t seem like much was happening, but my man, our SMUW quarterback, Terry Duroncelet has it all covered. Lets get right into it as TJ takes us through the…
Sunday Morning Uni Watch
By Terry Duroncelet
Mother. Of. Celestia. Autumn is here. Yesh. The time of falling leaves of various hues, pumpkin treats galore, and the dusting off of your coon-skin hat to get ready for the highest level of excitement for college football besides the opening Saturday. But some teams look more like they’re ready for some Winter snow games, because at least three teams not named LSU or Georgia Tech wore white at home the last couple of days. Also, there was Maryland on the road. More on them in a few moments, but first:
• The first game was Friday’s game between visiting Baylor and hosts Louisiana-Monroe. No photos, but the Warhawks’ uniforms looked kinda pinkish at times. Maybe because it’s an older uniform that’s starting to show its age, or it’s from sweat and the maroon gear they were wearing underneath was showing through easier, or it was the lighting, or whatever. I’m pretty sure those of you who were watching the game will know what I’m talking about. BTW, Baylor wore this. Gross.
• The third game was between Tulane and Mississippi. Did I ever tell you how much I frickin’ love Tulane’s colors? Tulane also had the number 18 on the left side of their helmets. From Yahoo! Sports: “Tulane football players wear the number 18 on their helmets honoring Tulane safety Devon Walker, who fractured his spine against Tulsa on Sept. 8, before the start of their NCAA college football game against Mississippi in New Orleans, Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012.” Other tributes to Walker can be found here, here, and here.
• Cornell wore these uniforms Saturday against Yale. They use the Nike Speed Machine/Pro Combat v3.0 template, and we’re not sure if this is a throwback uniform or some new uniforms that arrived at Cornell’s doorstep late in the season. Here are their usual uniforms. I was actually watching that game, but didn’t think of the unis as anything but new (my thanks to James Comfort for that).
• What happens when you cross Power Rangers, Star Wars, and Division 1 college football together? You get the Putty Patrol hosting the Stormtroopers. That’s West Virginia in their new grey unis (which I really like) with that awesome helmet. They had a rather exciting game against the Maryland Terps, who wore something called a “White Ops” uniform, complete with an HGI-designed helmet. In my opinion, this was actually one of Maryland’s greater uniform successes in recent years, and white is technically one of their colors, so it’s not like they were wearing some “Hot Pink Ops” getup. Shit, I think I just gave a D-1 program an idea for next month. Also, the flag pattern was sublimated into the stretchy section of the back of the pants, although it’s kinda hard to see. That pattern was also on the shoulders. Let’s go back to the first White Ops pic for a moment. The quadrant-specific patterns on the helmet and jersey shoulders still match, instead of staggering like the flag depicts. That doesn’t boast well with me, because they’re supposed to bring back their “Pride” uniforms this year, and if they haven’t fixed the shoulder pattern issue, then it’ll suck just as much as last year.
• Arkansas wore their white helmets against Rutgers. I think this the first time that they’ve done so this season.
• Utah State wore mono-grey against Colorado State.
• Also, this was a thing. Yeah.
Great job as usual, TJ — what the hell is this “Celestia” shit though? No more brony (I think that’s what it is) stuff please ;). All kidding aside, as always, a stellar effort — thanks for taking us through all the recaps!
Catherine Ryan’s 5 & 1
The five and one has been a staple of Uni Watch for three years, usually ably administered by Jim Vilk. But he got old and tired, so we needed someone young and fresh. And we’ve found that someone in this year’s new 5 & 1 decider…Catherine Ryan.
Catherine did a fantastic job two weeks ago in her first solo 5 & 1. However, a number of you took issue with her effort last week — so lets see how this week stacks up:
I made a lot of enemies last week with my selections! I spent my entire Saturday this week watching ESPN Goal Line and had to make some tough choices (which says as much about my social life as it does about my dedication to this column). Enjoy!
5. Villanova vs. UPenn: Finally get to give my alma mater, Villanova, some love! I love that they wear dark pants on the road and Penn always looks solid. Also, any game looks better when played in Franklin Field.
4. Maryland vs. West Virginia: I went back and forth on this game trying to decide if I loved or hated it. I think West Virginia actually pulled off the all-gray look. Maryland came out in an all-white alternate with a shadow pattern on the helmet.
And the bad one…
Thanks Catherine! I think you’ve acquitted yourself quite nicely this week, although I do disagree with your #1 (good) game — but hey, it’s all opinion anyway. Well readers, how do you think she did?
2012 Duck Tracker…
The fourth game of the 2012 Ducks season featured, um…black carbon(?) over green over black for their PAC-12 matchup with the stormtrooping Wildcats of Arizona. In my opinion, thus far, Oregon’s worst look for the season.
Our 2012 Duck Tracker is Tim E. O’Brien, and here he is to tell you about it:
Continuing a trend, The Ducks looked worse this week than they did last week. Given that they started with one of their best looks ever, that might not be saying much, but there is just so much “meh” in this uni set.
Let’s take it item by item.
With the helmet the Ducks brought back their crappy Rose Bowl helmet but added a yellow ‘O’ decal on the back. With the addition of Oregon’s other winged helmets, the lack of contrast between the wings and the helmet is even more obvious.
Finally, the pants are black. That’s it. They’d go better with a bolder jersey, a black helmet or sitting in a garbage can.
I’m disappointed in you, Oregon. Week one you got my hopes up and you’ve only dashed them since.
We have another new set of tweaks, er…concepts today. After discussion with a number of readers, it’s probably more apropos to call most of the reader submissions “concepts” rather than tweaks. So that’s that.
So if you’ve concept for any sport, or just a tweak or wholesale revision, send them my way.
Please do try to keep your descriptions to ~50 words (give or take) per image — if you have three uniform concepts in one image, then obviously, you can go a little over, but no novels, OK? OK!. You guys have usually been good with keeping the descriptions pretty short, and I thank you for that.
Like the colorizations, I’m going to run these as inline pics — click on each one to enlarge.
And so, lets begin:
First up is Marcus Hall, with some Balmer lovin’:
Kinda playing around with the Ravens; inspired by the Tampa Bay Rays fauxback. I went with the gray facemask cuz that just seems retro to me. I don’t think there would have been a “fancy” B on the pants, nor do I think there would have been that silly black drop shadow. No Alt black either. And yes, they would have gone with a bright helmet with the purple jerseys.
Next (and last) is Michael Pappas with a neat idea — combining rugby and CFL unis:
Since both American and Canadian football games are derived from rugby and nobody cares about the Canadian variety, what if they reverted back to rugby as a true alternative?
Full credit to Barbarian.com’s shirtbuilder tool for the shirt samples.
And that’s it for today. Back with more next time.
“Benchies” first appeared at U-W in 2008, and has been a Saturday & Sunday feature here for the past two years.
It’s not like he could blame it on replacement officials…
Click to enlarge
And that’s a wrap for today everyone. Thanks to Terry, Catherine, Tim, Ricko and the concepters! Everyone enjoy the pros today and have a great Sunday. I’ll catch you next week!
“This has been the best UniWatch day ever. WVU headlines AND wins their game. And yes, it was against Maryland, but a win is a win. Now I’m off to burn a couch.”