Lots of Pirates shots this time around, along with some other stuff. This latest batch comes from Paul Wiederecht, Bruce Menard, Jerry Wolper, Brendan Slattery, Mike Hersh, and Mako Mameli. My thanks to all of them.
• Here’s what passed for a new uniform unveiling in 1957. Sorry about the fuzzy caption, which contains one key nugget of info: It says the uniform is “made from a lightweight flannel and Dacron blend. That’s an earlier use of Dacron on the big league level than I had been aware of.
• The problem with the elastic waistband pants is that they could give you a muffin-top effect even when you didn’t have any muffin-top overspill. That’s Gene Clines in 1971.
• You know how the brim of a baseball cap has lots of lines of stitching in it? Don’t think I’ve ever seen so much stitching as in the cap on the left.
• Here’s Mr. Mendoza Line himself. Damn, those pinstripes were really something. Also, note the micro-thin stirrups.
• One last Pirates shot: Always thought the bumblebee designs looked a little undignified on the elder members of the coaching staff.
• Man cannot live by Pirates alone, so check out the bizarro stencil job on the Mick’s 1964 spring training helmet. Was it a really bad job, or were they trying to make it look all skull-and-bones?
• Hmmm, why didn’t they just put “Ching Chong” on the poster while they were at it?
• Man, you can almost feel the textured chain-stitching in this 1937 shot of Leo the Lip.
• Here’s a great shot of the Twins unveiling their inaugural uniforms.
• Love this awesome sweater being worn by Northern High (Detroit) track star Marshall Dill.
• What the hell was Joe Montana doing in an Eagles helmet?
• I think we may have seen this sweater before, but it’s definitely worth another look. That’s Pete Desjardins, the 1928 Olympic diving champion.
I can work 80 hours a week, why can’t you? For those of you who like to keep tabs on what I’m up to:
• I wrote a piece on the Killebrew/MLB logo issue for the current issue of Print magazine. (The theme of this issue is “Identity,” so the Killebrew topic was a very good fit.)
• Etsy recently asked me and a few others writers to share our thoughts on the subject of pencils.
Uni Watch News Ticker: Double-decker FNOB alert! That’s Mickey Johnson (duh), who played for the Bucks in the early 1980s. “They also had Marques Johnson,” says Matt Beahan. … Here’s a weird hybrid: a Jets jersey with Ravens numbering (from Gary Streeting). … Bill Schaefer notes that Brandon Marshall appears to be risking a footwear fine. … Pats will be distributing “MHK” pins this weekend (thanks, Brinke). … Here’s an unusual sight: an entire baseball team wearing quilted pants. That style was more common for football back in the day (nice find by Neil Robinson). … The Hurricanes are adding a memorial patch for Josef Vasicek (from Jeff Czuba). … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Here’s how the Islanders’ 40th-anniversary patch looks in a rookie game (from John Muir). … Here’s a list of this year’s top EPL kits (from Stephen Wong). ”¦ Here’s a frightening thought: Nike may be interested in acquiring Under Armour, which would essentially create a Death Star of collegiate design. ”¦ Penn State has told a high school to stop poaching its logo (from William Yurasko). ”¦ A youth baseball team in Texas wore special 9/11 jerseys (from Dave Sorter). … Michigan’s players are getting to keep last week’s retro jerseys, although some folks think that’s a bad idea (from Ben Fortney). … Does the world really need bedsheets made from moisture-wicking performance fabrics? Could be a hit in the porn biz, I suppose, but otherwise I have my doubts. … Can never have too many shots of the Braves in white satin (big thanks to Bruce Menard). … Any serious Michigan fan really needs this (blame Rob Waynick). ”¦ Longtime Toronto sports reporter Howard Berger has been posting lots of cool old memorabilia and trinkets on his blog (from Chris Mayberry). ”¦ The Warrriors are retiring Chris Mullin’s number (thanks, Brinke). ”¦ Interesting observation by Sean Patton, who writes: “The 36-yardline harshmarks on Mississippi State’s field are black. Did they have a player with that number pass away since last season, or is this something I’ve missed in years past?” ”¦ Remember the infamous Amarillo Sox mascot-with-a-boner? The costume is being auctioned off for charity. Further details here (from Daren Landers). ”¦ Blues goalie Jaroslav Halak will be honoring his former Slovakian teammate Pavol Demitra on the backplate of his new mask (from Bruce Klostermann). ”¦ “Sorry I’m a week late on this, but I was strolling the parking lot at Lambeau last Thursday afternoon and saw some hosiery you might like,” says Jeff Vanden Langenberg (now that would make for a great NOB!). “Actually saw another woman wearing close to the same thing but couldn’t get the camera out in time.” ”¦ Matty Ice, who has a shoe deal with Nike, did a rather half-assed cover-up job on his cap’s Reebok logo the other day (screen shot by Matthew Hiett). ”¦ Lots of Chargers tattoos on display here (from Brady Phelps). ”¦ This is pretty great: The Sabres are holding a “Slug Appreciation Day” promotion. Kudos to them for being able to laugh at their own mistake.