Have the Vikings switched to real 3-D horns on their helmets? Kinda looked that way yesterday, but it was actually a loose decal on Chad Greenway’s lid. (Screen shots courtesy of Phil, Jeff Czuba, John Beckwith, and Jason Mattina.)
That was the most notable moment in a relatively uni-uneventful NFL weekend. Among the other tidbits:
• Doug Keklak noticed that Neil Rackers was wearing his wedding band while kicking. No screen shot, but you can clearly see he was wearing it a week earlier in the game against Green Bay, and also in the regular season finale.
• I want to make it clear that I am not suggesting that the Cardinals switch to a black helmet, but there’s no denying that their logo looks really good outlined in white on a black background.
• Spike Lee was wearing Jets gear, but not at the Jets/Chargers game. He was in New Orleans, attending the Saints/Cards game. Kinda weird to show up in another team’s attire, no?
• I know we’ve covered this before, but what’s the deal with the initial on the ball? I think it’s the ref’s initial after he checks and approves the ball prior to the game — right?
• Gretchen Wilson sang the national anthem before the Colts/Ravens game while wearing a T-shirt with the old NFL logo.
• Here’s something I’m fairly certain I’ve never seen before: Andrew Bartsch notes that each of the Metrodome end zones yesterday had a separate, distinct end line. Is that standard Metrodome procedure? Has anyone ever seen this on any other gridiron?
• Matt Shervin attended the Jets/Chargers game and noted that the team logo banners at Qualcomm still show the old Lions logo. (Either way, those are some gorgeous banners, no? Never seen those before.)
And now we can look forward to both conference championship games being played in domes. Sigh…..
Candela Update: Last summer, when the Candela Structures exhibit at the City Reliquary came down, I promised everyone that a virtual/digital version of the exhibit would soon be available. Okay, so “soon” turned out to be a little inaccurate, but the deed is finally done: All the content from the exhibit is now available on the Candela Structures site.
Now let’s just hope the structures survive the winter.
Uni Watch News Ticker: For those of you who enjoyed last week’s ESPN column about Todd Asselin’s helmet design, here’s the entire 40-second video clip from which those screen shots were taken. Can’t use NFL video in ESPN articles, but no problem linking to it here. ”¦ The NBA All-Star Game jerseys are now circulating, which means I can show you these photos I took in the NBA offices last fall. ”¦ Entertaining breakdown of very odd stadiums here (with thanks to Jason Goede). ”¦ Illinois high schools with slightly illegal uniforms (wrong color trim, numbers too small, etc.) can now apply for a waiver (with thanks to Seth Engelbrecht). ”¦ Several readers have pointed me toward these carved baseball bats — amazing stuff. ”¦ Here’s something you don’t often see: an Arnold Palmer Masters caddy uniform up for auction. ”¦ If you’ve been looking for 16 Angels logo patches, here’s just the thing for you. ”¦ In case you missed it in Phil’s post on Saturday, the new MLB BP caps are out, and holy shit are they atrocious. Larger photos, if you dare, here. And as Phil correctly noted, the back view is the icing on the turd cake. ”¦ Meanwhile, several readers have been asking me if this is what the new BP jerseys are gonna look like. My understanding is that the BP jerseys are not changing this season, so I’m not sure what that Reds design is. Anyway, all the BP stuff is crap anyway, so who really cares? ”¦ New World Cup kits for Uruguay and Switzerland (with thanks to Michael Orr. ”¦ New logo for the Euroleague (basketball) Final Four (with thanks to Jeremy Brahm). ”¦ Also from Jeremy: New soccer uniforms for the J-League teams Omiya Ardija, Tochigi SC, Fagiano Okayama, Yokohama F-Marinos, Consadole Sapporo, United Chiba, and Roasso Kumamoto. ”¦ Hey, all you weekend “Guess the Scoreboard” warriors, check out this note from Chris Flinn: “Funny episode of King of Queens was on TBS the other day. Kevin James runs onto the field after trying to get a foul ball for his father-in-law. Interesting scoreboard shot — it’s a day game, but the clock shows 9:19, and several of the other games are already final. Any idea if this is a real scoreboard shot, or is everything a mockup? The Mets lineup looks real — Henderson, Alfonso, Olerud, Piazza, etc.” Okay, scoreboard savants, get crackin’. ”¦ Brutal shot of the Kings’ old two-tone purple/black uniforms here (blame Mike Engle). ”¦ Ticker item of the day, as far as I’m concerned: Spirts of St. Louis blank checks! (Awesome find by Ben Traxel.) ”¦ Robert Marshall was in St. Looey a few months back. While he was there, he hooked up with reader Marty Hick, who invited Robert to join him for a round of croquet. That’s Robert in the center and Marty at far-right. Lots more photos here. ”¦ Andrew Peters suffered a doozy of a jersey tear during a fight with David Koci the other night. ”¦ Pens goalie Alexander Pechurski made his NHL debut on Saturday night, wearing a very plain, generic-looking mask. Additional info from Doug Keklak: “Although he wore No. 40, his usual number is 70 and they mentioned how equipment manager Dana Heinze tried to get him a 70 jersey but it got caught up in customs.Heinze tried to peel back the 4 and put on a 7, but it just wouldn’t work. Also, ice-level reporter Dan Potash also brought up something interesting: Pechurski’s name was spelled wrong. It really ends in y but the Pens saw it listed with an i.” ”¦ Lots of info about Rick DiPietro’s new mask here (with thanks to John Muir). ”¦ Johnny Griswold‘s PuckDrawn blog is running an Anaheim Ducks rebranding contest. ”¦ Bit of a typo on the NHL Network the other night (as noted by Matthew Hiett). ”¦ Interesting feature on Manhattan doorman uniforms here. ”¦ Pitt unveiled a gold alternate uni on Saturday. ”¦ Whoa, serious color-on-color alert. That’s Pepperdine vs. University of San Francisco from Saturday night (with thanks to Jim McCue). ”¦ Saw Sweetgrass last night. Has nothing to do with uniforms, sports, design, or anything else we usually discuss here, but holy shit is it beautiful. Highly recommended. ”¦ “I attended the Kings/Bruins game on Saturday and saw that Daniel Paille had one of his skate tongues flopped down, while the other skate had the tongue tucked under the shin-pad,” writes Alex Kinkopf. “Going tongues-out is awesome, but I’ve NEVER seen this style.” ”¦ “I was watching the Red Wings play the Blackhawks on Suday when this commercial came on,” says Joe Lubinski. “The long pants are reminiscent of Cooperalls, no?” Indeed. ”¦ RIP, Mr. Country.