By Phil Hecken, with James Huening
First off. A note of apology to Jeremy Brahm, with whom I had collaborated on a HUGE post for today. Somehow…and I’m not sure how…I ended up deleting an ENTIRE post — and his portion is simply too long to recreate now (as I type this, it’s close to 11:30 pm, Saturday night). I can and will recreate, as best as possible, the rest of what I had prepared (that includes the Worst Uni Ever, Benchies, Guess The Scoreboard, Ducktracker, and 5 & 1) … but the NFL uni mocks and Jeremy’s portion will have to wait. Again, my deep apologies to Jeremy (he’ll vouch for me — I sent him the full mockup of his piece earlier this week). Sorry, buddy, I’ll get to it soon!
Now then, at least I can still bring you the final voting from the Worst. Uni. Ever. poll on which James Huening (my wingman) had provided all the legwork and assistance. So, without further ado, here’s James:
Here are the eagerly-awaited results for our poll to determine the worst uniform ever worn in (US and Canadian) sports.
9) The Orlando Thunder (1991-92) collected a mere 2.47% of the vote.
8) Gathering 3.23% of responses were the San Diego Padres (1978).
7) 4.38% of you thought the Toronto Raptors (1995-99) were the worst ever.
6) The green glare of the Seattle Seahawks (2009) was disliked the most by 5.43%.
5) Our last finalists to collect less than 10% of responses were the Vancouver Canucks (1978-85), who were chosen by 8.78% of respondents. (OK, the uni had some slight modifications during this time period, but the overall design stayed basically the same.)
4) The University of Oregon Ducks football program (2006-2008) was selected 11.18% of the time.
3) 13.42% of the vote went to the Chicago White Sox (with shorts – 1976).
2) With 22.26% of the vote, the Tucson Toros (1980) were our early favorites and they jumped out to a commanding lead over our eventual #1…
1) …The Caribous of Colorado (1978) who made a valiant comeback to take the top spot with 28.83% of responses collected
Once again, thanks to everyone who participated. And more than 5,100 of you did, which was nearly double the turnout of our previous survey. I wonder if the mention in SI.com’s Hot Clicks had anything to do with that.
Thank you James (and thank YOU to everyone who participated). We’re going to keep polling you guys, but James needs a little break. His fingers are all cut up from counting all the ballots, and those hanging chads were a biotch to figure out. Hopefully, it didn’t affect his curling skills.
Congratulations to The Caribous (sic) of Colorado. You simply had the Worst. Uni. Ever.
Boy…Mick’s on a roll these days in Bub’s Pub. And when there’s no ladies around on which to work his magic, well — he gets sage advice on the ladies.
Enjoy your Sunday Benchies
Guess The Game From The Scoreboard: Back to baseball today, and this is an oldie but a goodie from SlimandSlam. I’m pretty sure the difficulty level on this one is quite high, but I also believe the clue you need is right there on the scoreboard. Put on your thinking caps for this one. Guess The Game. And if you want to keep this going through the fall, please send me some new scoreboards! Drop me a line. Thanks!
UW #1 Seahawks Fan Michael Princip has been tracking the Oregon Ducks and all of their 2,456 possible uniform combinations this season. He’ll be updating it after each game. The Ducks were resplendent in school colors — black and steel are school colors right? And, they were taking Arizona State behind the woodshed (31-7 as I write this). So
Here’s Your Updated Ducktracker.
Our man in the street, Jim Vilk, brings you his “Top 5” Best and one WORST college football uni matchup from yesterday:
5. LA Tech/LSU — Love those stripes!
4. Nebraska/Kansas — Normally I like white pants with white-helmeted teams, but the Huskers are a great exception.
3. Iowa/Ohio State — Big Ten teams may be overrated, but these unis aren’t (Oh, and the ANF sticker stands for “America Needs Farmers).
2. VMI/Army — I salute this classically cool matchup.
1. Tennessee/Ole Miss — Another white-helmeted team that doesn’t need white pants, and another title for the SEC.
And the worst matchup: Virginia Tech/Maryland — At least the Terps were saluting REAL warriors.
Thanks again Jim. But I’m gonna have to “Go Off The Boards” with the worst uni pick — and this photo doesn’t even begin to do it the injustice it deserves: TCU vs. Utah. Honorable mention could probably go to Oregon vs. Arizona, but Arizona didn’t look too bad.
OK, that’s gonna do it for today. Two legacy games (the Bills visit the
Titans Oilers in the early game, while the late game features the Chiefs Texans at the Raiders).
And to all the New York City-and-environs denizens, don’t forget today is the UW Gathering at Sheep Station in beautiful Brooklyn. 2:30 till whenever. Hope to see you there.
Everyone have a great Sunday!