Man, is there anything better than an entire day and night filled with nothing but baseball? It’s like a gift from the gods, I tells ya. And look what we get today: a newspaper full of box scores, which constitute a balm to the soul, a lift to the spirit. It’s all so totally great, I don’t even mind that the Yankees won. Much.
No shortage of uni-related details, either. Check it out, my little detail-driven obsessives:
• Seems like there’s always a team wearing a patch that hadn’t been announced in advance. This year it’s the Braves, who are wearing a memorial patch for Lew Burdette and Johnny Sain, both of whom wore uni No. 33. It’s hard to see, but the “33” on the patch is flanked by a little “LB” on one side and a little “JS” on the other.
• The Twins hurriedly added a black armband — apparently a really thick, heavy armband — in memory broadcaster Herb Carneal, who died on Sunday.
• Carlos Zambrano usually opts for the blue alt jersey, but not yesterday. Why? According to the “Uniform uniformity” section of this page (helpfully brought to my attention by Bryan Redemske), “As it turns out, Zambrano had no choice. Cubs President John McDonough has decided the Cubs will wear gray on the road and white with blue pinstripes at home. The move corresponds with the decision to put names on the backs of the uniforms.” Does this mean the alt jersey — which is still shown in the official MLB Style Guide — has essentially been retired? I’ll try to get an answer on that. Meanwhile, someone please buy John McDonough a beer.
• And speaking of bases, they were festooned with Opening Day logos.
• And speaking of the Opening Day logo, it was emblazoned behind home plate and along the baselines at various stadia. But that wasn’t good enough for the Royals and Brewers: They used an Opening Week logo.
• Looks like an awful lot of unauthorized logo creep on Chris Snyder’s undershirt sleeve.
• What kind of team dresses like this on Opening Day?
• Best uniforms of the day: the U.S. Army Band, which played at the Nats/Marlins game.
Oh, and I hear there was a basketball game or something last night, which means it’s time to name our latest Distant Replays raffle winners. Uni Watch intern Vince Grzegorek is busily tabulating the results as we speak (read: He’s sleeping off a hangover after draining half a case while watching the Indians yesterday) and will announce the winners tomorrow.